GCC Cement Plant Tour
GCC Cement Plant Tour
The Black Hills Chapter of the South Dakota Engineering Society is sponsoring a tour of the GCC Cement Plant. If you are planning on attending, please RSVP through the Eventbrite link by Monday, October 3rd, 2022.
GCC will update us since its 2018 upgrade and discuss new technologies for meeting existing and future sustainability initiatives. The Rapid City plant, which produces construction and oil well cement, increased the capacity of its kiln in 2018 from 0.7 to 1.2 Mta to help satisfy regional demand growth. The tour will last 1 hour; lunch will not be provided. RSVP by October 3 through this EventBrite event.
- Please review the hazard awareness below
- Must wear good walking shoes, steel-toed preferable but not necessary.
- Must wear long pants.
- No pictures are permitted.
- GCC will provide hard hats and safety glasses.
GCC Dacotah is a mining facility and therefore all visitors must comply with the standards set forth by the federal Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA). These rules are intended to provide knowledge for the safety of visitors to the facility who have no intention of performing any work at the facility.
- As a visitor to GCC Dacotah, you are not allowed to enter the manufacturing facility unaccompanied. A contact person will be designated to provide for your protection. At no time may you be outside the immediate area of your contact person. You must follow all instructions given by the contact person without question, as their primary responsibility is for your safety.
- Do not run or stray from the group
- Personal protective equipment (PPE) will be provided for your use by GCC Dacotah including safety glasses and hard hat. Prescription glasses, regardless of design, are sufficient to serve as safety glasses. Sunglasses do not meet this requirement. This PPE is to be worn at all times when in the manufacturing area of the plant.
- Long pants and closed toe shoes are also required when entering the manufacturing facility. High heels (2" or more and all "spike" style) are also prohibited.
- Many noisy areas exist at GCC Dacotah. Tours do not expose visitors to these areas long enough to endanger visitor's hearing.
- Follow your contact person as closely as practical and do not stray from their path.
- If you see anything that may endanger yourself or others, let your contact person know immediately.
- Look and listen for large mobile equipment. The operator's visibility is limited. Give all mobile equipment plenty of room.
- Stay clear of all operating equipment
- Use hand rails where provided.
- Don't cross under, over, or between railroad cars.
- The use of, or being under the influence or, controlled substances, or alcohol, on company property is strictly prohibited.
- Do not enter roped-off or barricaded (Danger Do Note Enter, and/or Caution Do not Enter) areas.
- Should your contact person become incapacitated for any reason, return to the main office following the same path you entered the facility for assistance. In the event of a group tour, a single individual shall be chosen to return to the office, while the remaining members of the group stay with the contact
Date and Time
- Date: 06 Oct 2022
- Time: 12:00 PM to 01:00 PM
- All times are (UTC-07:00) Mountain Time (US & Canada)
- Add Event to Calendar