PES-Jt. Chapter/ FREE Live Webinar on “New Challenges in Electricity Distribution and Regulation”/ on 22-May-2020/ Friday/ Start Time: 5.30 PM (IST)
FREE Live Webinar on “New Challenges in Electricity Distribution and Regulation”/on 22-May-2020/ Friday/ Start Time: 5.30 PM (IST).
Electricity Distribution Companies and State Electricity Regulatory Commissions face many challenges – some old and some new. Growing financial losses, pockets of high distribution losses and poor quality or supply in rural areas are some challenges, which have been around for a few decades. Reforms after reforms have not been able to completely address them. High base-load capacity addition, increasing cost of conventional power, growing penetration of renewable power, growth of electricity markets and emergence of battery storage are some new challenges. Facing them calls for a paradigm shift in distribution business and regulatory oversight. Improving the planning process, preparing to integrate renewable and storage- including distributed, focussing on special measures to protect small consumers and promoting healthy markets are some suggestions to meet these challenges.
The webinar will introduce the new challenges and medium-term suggestions to address them, largely in the context of grid power based, state owned distribution companies.
About the Invited Speaker :
Sreekumar has been working in power sector in the areas of policy analysis and Information Technology applications from 1984. After 14 years in the industry (L&T and CMC Limited), in 2000 he joined Prayas, a voluntary organisation based at Pune, India, and is currently Member - Prayas (Energy Group). The Energy Group works on policy analysis, governance and civil society capacity building in energy sector. Sreekumar is a member of government committees and is associated with several voluntary organisations. He is an author of many articles, papers, booklets, including a Citizens’ Primer on the electricity sector and a book on electricity sector reforms. Sreekumar received his Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering from IIT - Bombay in 1984 and Master's degree in Power Systems Engineering from IIT- Kharagpur. He is a Senior Member of IEEE and is associated with the electricity safety initiative of IEEE Hyderabad.
Date and Time
- Date: 22 May 2020
- Time: 05:30 PM to 07:00 PM
- All times are Asia/Calcutta
- Add Event to Calendar
- Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh
- India 500089
For any Assistance :
1) For IEEE Members: Dr.C.Harinatha Reddy/ Email: email@example.com/ Phone: 9966124224
2) For Non-IEEE Particpants: Dr.PV Rajgopal/ Email: firstname.lastname@example.org/ Phone: 9985306562
3) For ALL Students: Prof.B.Madhuri/ Email: email@example.com/ Phone: 9010020113
- Co-sponsored by Dr.Rajgopal, PV / Chair, PES/IAS/PELS--Jt.Chapter, Hyderabad Section, India
- Starts 15 May 2020 01:00 PM
- Ends 22 May 2020 06:30 PM
- All times are Asia/Calcutta
- No Admission Charge
* Welcome Address by Dr.PV Rajgopal, Chair, PES/IAS/PELS--Jt.Chapter
* Introduction of the Speaker
* Lecture by the Invited Speaker: Sri Sreekumar Nhalur
* Lecture Topic: “New Challenges in Electricity Distribution and Regulation”
* Q & A Session.
* Closing Remarks
* Vote of Thanks: by Dr.Harinatha Reddy/ Vice-Chair, PES/IAS/PELS--Jt.Chapter
A Technology Sharing Initiative by PES/IAS/ PELS Jt.Chapter (OU ID: PE31/IA34/PEL35) in association with of IEEE Hyderabad Section/ India.