IEEE Montréal Keynote Event: Why the world needs women engineers.
Please join us for this year IEEE Montréal Keynote Event. Our invited speaker Dr. Gina Cody will talk about:
- How equality, diversity and inclusion (EDI) are good for business and good for the Canadian economy and why Canada and the world desperately need women engineers.
- The value of diversity for driving innovation and creativity.
- Why EDI is critical now and how women and minorities will get left further behind if they aren’t part of the tech, engineering and science teams creating the world of tomorrow.
- The power engineers have to imagine, design and build the world of tomorrow and the important responsibility that comes with it.
- The dangers of a world designed by primarily by one group.
Date and Time
- Date: 24 Sep 2020
- Time: 06:45 PM to 09:00 PM
- All times are Canada/Eastern
- Add Event to Calendar
IEEE Montreal Section is inviting you to a scheduled online meeting.
Topic: Why the world needs women engineers.
Time: Sep 24, 2020 18:45 Eastern Time (US and Canada)
The link to attend the meeting will be provided to registered attendees closer to the date of the event.
- VIRTUAL EVENT
- Montréal, Quebec
- Starts 02 September 2020 03:10 PM
- Ends 24 September 2020 06:00 PM
- All times are Canada/Eastern
- No Admission Charge
Dr. Gina Cody
Dr. Gina Parvaneh Cody immigrated to Canada from Iran in 1979.
Dr. Cody holds a master’s and a doctorate in building engineering from Concordia University. She was the first woman awarded a PhD in building engineering at Concordia. Dr. Cody has more than 30 years of professional practice in the private sector as a professional engineer, corporate executive and principal shareholder of an engineering firm. Dr. Cody has provided professional engineering services to some of Canada’s largest Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs), financial institutions, builders and developers.
Dr. Cody served the Professional Engineers of Ontario (PEO) for more than 15 years as a member of the Discipline Committee and eight years as chair of the Professional Practice Committee. Dr. Cody was granted the Certificate of Fellowship and the Award of Honor by PEO. Dr. Cody is also a recipient of the Award of Merit by the Canadian Standards Association. Dr. Cody was awarded the Order of Montreal in 2019 and was named one of the Top 25 Women of Influence in Canada in 2020.
Dr. Cody serves on the board of trustees of the Canadian Apartment Properties REIT and the European Residential REIT. She is a member of the Board of Governors, the Governance Committee and chair of the Real Estate Planning Committee and Industrial Advisory Council of Concordia University. She is also the co-chair of the Campaign for Concordia, the university’s most ambitious fundraising initiative ever.
In 2018, Dr. Cody made an historic $15 million gift to Concordia University's Faculty of Engineering and Computer Science. In honour of her professional accomplishments and her generosity, the faculty was renamed the Gina Cody School of Engineering and Computer Science. It is the first engineering faculty in Canada, and one of the first internationally, named after a woman.
Dr. Cody lives in Toronto with her husband, a retired banker. The couple have two daughters, one completed her law degree and the other a doctoral degree in engineering.