Webinar: WindCharger Battery Energy Storage System
Program for Wednesday, June 30th, 2021:
» 11:45 Webinar open
» 12:00 IEEE South Alberta announcements
» 12:05 Presentation
» 13:15 Q&A
» 13:30 Webinar close
WindCharger is Alberta’s first utility-scale, lithium-ion energy storage project. It uses Tesla’s Megapack technology and is the first installation of this technology in Canada’s northern climate. The design team collaborated with the Alberta Electric System Operator (AESO) to establish the project-specific, electricity grid interconnection requirements and applicable standards.
WindCharger has a nameplate capacity of 10MW, a total storage capacity of 20MWh and can be fully charged in approximately two hours. This technology supports fully behind-the-fence renewable energy, powered by TransAlta’s Summer view II Wind Facility. The project’s total capital cost was approximately $14.5 million (CAD), approximately 50 percent funded through the support of Emissions Reduction Alberta. BBA was the lead design consultant and Iconic Power Systems completed the project’s construction.
This presentation will elaborate on the key factors that led to the selection of the technology, including performance and utility requirements. Additional information will be provided about winter operation considerations.
- The webinar is free for active IEEE members.
- There is a $5 registration fee for people who are not active IEEE members.
- The fee must be paid in advance through the registration process below (credit card through PayPal) in order to receive the link to the webinar.
- Upon successful payment of the fee, you will receive 2 emails: one from email@example.com with title "IEEE vTools Reservation Confirmation," and a second from firstname.lastname@example.org with title "Your payment to The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc." Both emails are required to ensure your payment was successfully processed.
- Incomplete non-member registrations (payment not received) will be deleted.
- A link to the WebEx registration will be sent to the email address you provided during this vTools registration, on May 11, by "IEEE Northern Alberta". Please double check the spelling of your email address when registering.
- You will need to complete the brief WebEx event registration prior to joining the webinar.
Date and Time
- Date: 30 Jun 2021
- Time: 11:45 AM to 01:30 PM
- All times are Canada/Mountain
- Add Event to Calendar
- Co-sponsored by BBA Inc, TransAlta
- Starts 03 June 2021 05:00 PM
- Ends 28 June 2021 12:00 AM
- All times are Canada/Mountain
- Admission fee ?
Sébastien Grégoire, P.Eng. Automation Engineer of BBA Inc.
Since joining BBA in 2007, Mr. Grégoire has acquired significant experience in cost studies, detailed design, programming and commissioning. He has been leading the automation team of the Calgary office since 2013 and actively supporting power projects across Canada. His versatility and field experience allow him to effectively lead design teams to meet quality, budget and schedule requirements.
Scott Fleming, P.Eng., PMP, Director Wind & Solar of BBA Inc.
Scott Fleming has over 16 years of broad experience in the Canadian electricity sector, primarily in renewable energy, power generation and transmission. His experience in the renewable energy sector began in 2006 and continued through progressive roles with ENMAX, TransAlta and NaturEner. He has been involved in technical and leadership roles through development, design, construction and commissioning of seven new greenfield generation projects located across Canada. He was most recently with the AESO where he led Alberta’s Renewable Electricity Program (REP) Rounds 2&3 procurements, procurement of ancillary services and also led aspects of the Energy Storage Roadmap, including a Fast Frequency Response from new technology pilot.
Scott has a technical background in electrical engineering and experience in applying engineering and project management to all phases of renewable energy projects, coupled with strong leadership, communications and strategic planning skills.
Scott is currently Director, Wind and Solar with BBA Consulting. His goal is to support decarbonization of the energy sector, enhance efficiency of delivering renewable projects and enable integration of emerging technologies. He has a passion for sustainability and international development and currently serves as Vice-Chair of the Board of Directors of Light Up the World (LUTW.org), a Calgary-based charity whose mission is to deliver sustainable energy to remote, underserved communities in Latin America and Canada.