16 Feb 2023: IEEE Pikes Peak Section Meeting (all members) and EXCOM Meeting
RISING STARS CONFERENCE , STATE OF THE IEEE PIKES PEAK SECTION, FUTURE PLANNING
- To obtain your interests, activities/events, and constructive feedback in creating more value to its members and the local community, as well as helping to plan future events.
- To update you on latest activities/events and Section sustainability, like the Rising Stars Conference and the State of the Pikes Peak Section (see highlights below the Agenda section)
There will be two meetings:
- A Section meeting in which all IEEE members are invited to attend (5:30 pm - 6:30 pm, see Agenda section)
- An EXCOM (Executive Committee) Meeting (6:30 pm - 7:30 pm) in which all IEEE section members (who are not part of the EXCOM committee) are invited to attend as well.
To help save time during the meeting, the Section has developed a work-in-progress and multimedia website with highlights of events during 2019-2022 period for the members to provide a snapshot of Section/Chapters activities. The highlights with weblinks can be found just below the Agenda section. There is also an attached pdf of the same highlights with weblinks.
The meeting room can only accommodate 30 people. Adjacent to the meeting room is a dining area for overflow to accommodate more than 30 people.
For those who cannot attend the meeting, you can email me at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org about your interests of topics, new services and/or other recommendations. We'll compile and consolidate them for the meeting. If you have time, I'd suggest you review the highlights of past activities and other information that can be found in the Agenda section shown below.
A survey will also be sent out requesting feedback on planning of future activities and services. For example, using IEEE vTools (vTools stand for Volunteer Tools) as well as zoom, google meet, Microsoft Teams should the section re-activate past Section chapters that may be geographically widely dispersed? VTools Analytical Database (OU Analytics) shows the following number of section members for those with no chapters within the section.
- Communication Society (48 members)
- Solid-State Circuits (47 members)
- IEEE Signal Processing Society (30 members)
- Aerospace and Electronics Systems Society (22 members)
Using vTools, one can "simplify the administrative tasks to our volunteers via the use of online tools, reducing time spent managing activities and assisting in member development."
One of the new features in vtools is called Local Groups. Here, a member can request formation of a new informal group in your Section. Perhaps there is a lot of interest in Blockchain or avid HAM Radio operators. You can form a Local Group to get like minds together.
Date and Time
- Date: 16 Feb 2023
- Time: 05:15 PM to 07:45 PM
- All times are (UTC-07:00) Mountain Time (US & Canada)
- Add Event to Calendar
- 4110 North Academy Blvd (Old Chicago)
- Colorado Springs, Colorado
- United States 80918
- Building: Northwest Corner of Intersection at N. Academy and Austin Bluffs
- Starts 23 January 2023 06:00 AM
- Ends 14 February 2023 11:59 PM
- All times are (UTC-07:00) Mountain Time (US & Canada)
- No Admission Charge
IEEE Rising Stars Conference 2023: A debrief
A report on the 9th installation of the IEEE Rising Stars Conference, the premier IEEE event for students and young professionals. Sharing what the conference was like and why hundreds of students, young professionals, and volunteers keep coming back for more each year.
Daniel Thomson was born in Cape Town, South Africa in1996 and is the youngest of three. He served a two-year mission to Scotland and Ireland with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Daniel received his B.S. Computer Engineering at Brigham Young University – Idaho class of 2021. He currently works for Keysight Technologies just off Garden of the Gods Avenue doing measurement science applications for High Performance Oscilloscopes. Daniel is happily married, with two kids (a 2.5 year old boy and another boy born in August 2022). He joined IEEE in 2018 and held the following volunteer positions: Student Branch Treasurer, Student Branch Chair, IEEE Humanitarian Activities Committee (HAC) member, IEEE Rising Stars Conference sponsorship committee & Executive Committee. He is also a member of the ACM, Tau Beta Pi (ID Delta 2019), and the American Radio Relay League (ARRL). Daniel is currently pursuing a Master’s of Engineering degree in Software Engineering at UCCS.
Address:Colorado, United States
Dr John Santiago of R50043 - Pikes Peak Section
State of The Pikes Peak Section
Dr John Santiago will provide a summary of past, present and future Section's activities/events as well as its achievements. Please see highlights described below the Agenda Section. There is also an attached document of highlights with weblinks associated with this flyer.
Dr John Santiago served 26 years in the U.S. Air Force as a research and development engineer, as well as an engineering manager, gaining leadership & technical experience in many engineering disciplines, systems & missions: large flexible space structures, communications, electro-optical systems, high-energy lasers, missile seekers, image recognition, information technologies, space, air & missile defense & homeland defense.
He retired again during 2019 from an 18-year career as a full-time professor, including over 4 years at the USAF Academy. John is continuing to work with the Kern Entrepreneurial Engineering Network (KEEN), a collaboration of 40+ universities & colleges while publishing several papers at the American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE) using the KEEN framework.
The framework combines the technical skill sets & the entrepreneurial mindset, to revolutionize the teaching of engineering.
As a professor of electrical & systems engineering, he taught 40+ courses in engineering, physics & math including 12 graduate courses, authoring 50+ papers, presentations & receiving several educator awards.
5:15 pm - 5:30 pm: Networking
• 2023 Rising Stars Conference Report (20 minutes): Daniel Thomson
• State of the Pikes Peak Section Summary (15 minutes): Dr. John Santiago
• Open Discussion: Q&A (25 minutes)
6:30 pm - 7:30 pm: EXCOM Meeting (all members are invited)
• Treasurer Report (10-15 minutes) – John Reinert
• Succession Leadership & Planning & Section Sustainability (10 minutes)
• Q&A: Future Plans & Open Discussion (35-40 minutes)
- VIDEO SUMMARY OF ACHIEVEMENTS. For a short 6-minute video summary of IEEE History and Achievements during the 2019-2022 and given to the IEEE Region 5 on 9 September 2022, please visit: IEEE Region 5 Achievements Forum, 9 September 2022
- UPCOMING AND RECENT PAST EVENTS. For a listing of upcoming and most recent past events in the each of the society chapters and , please visit this link: News . For convenience, you can also find upcoming events on the left side panel of the home page at https://site.ieee.org/pikespeak when viewed on a desktop (or at the bottom of the home page when viewed on a smart phone)
- VISION, MISSION, STRATEGIC GOALS. For a slide show of IEEE Pikes Peak Section’s Vision, Mission and Strategic Goals, and selected events, please visit: About the Section.
- DIGITAL FLIPBOOKS/VIDEOS ON SELECTED PRESENTATIONS FROM SECTION CHAPTERS/GROUPS. Based on the presentations generated from the Pikes Peak Section societies and groups, we also provided digital flipbooks and/or videos to the society and group pages shown below:
- Webpage of Digital Flipbooks and Video Links of Speaker Presentations from the Computer Society
- Webpage of Digital Flipbooks and/or Videos of Speaker Presentations from the Life Member Affinity Group
- SECTION CHAPTERS. The section added dedicated web pages for the following chapters/society/groups. Click on the hyperlinked text below for more information.
- Computer Society
- Joint Circuits and Systems/Electronic Devices Society
- Life Member Affinity Group
- Magnetics Society
- Power and Energy Society
- PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT. For a section with web resources on professional development for engineers, please visit Professional Development. When you visit the web page, tabbed sections include: Licensed Engineer (by current Region 5 Director, Bob Becnel), IEEE Senior Membership, Young Professional Leadership, Managing Change, Past 50 Years on Change, Center for Leadership Excellence (CLE), 2022 IEEE Day, Character: Pyramid of Success, Engineering Management Institute (EMI) Resources
- GROWTH MINDSET FOR STUDENTS. There are web resources section on the Growth Mindset (Including Leadership and Entrepreneurial Mindset) for Students with videos/playlists. The contents contain the following headings
- Engineering Unleashed : Tabbed Sections include: Mindset for Success, Kern Entrepreneurial Engineering Network (KEEN) framework, Video Series of Engineering Mindset, KEEN’zine, KEEN talks, 2021 KEEN Plenary Talks, Remote Teaching Resources, Student & Faculty Video Testimonials, Industry Validation Videos, and IEEE Links
- Skillset And Mindset : Tabbed Sections include: Demystifying Leadership, Passion for Excellence, Character for Excellence, Young Professional Leadership, FE Prep Tips, Leadership Development, 2022 IEEE Day
- Student Activities : To help inspire and provide some project ideas for student branches, the tabbed Sections include past activities of students: 2022 UCCS IEEE Day, USAFA Senior Design, Student Projects, Underwater Robotics, What-If Festival, Space Foundation, Disney Theme Parks, Solar Tour and Expo, Engineering Week, Student Made Video & More, Try Engineering
- IEEE and Other Videos : Tabbed Sections include: IEEE Spectrum on Robotics, Quadcopter Playlist, Women-In-Engineering Videos, Leadership Series – Young Professionals, Keys to Being a Successful Engineer, Engineering Career Takeaways
- PHOTO GALLERIES: For selected photo galleries of past events, visit Photo Galleries. Tabbed Sections include: May 2019: USAF Academy Senior Design Projects, Feb 2020: MRAM Technology, July 2022: National Museum of WWII Aviation, Aug 2022: EXCOM Meeting, Sep 2022: Power Grid Upgrade in Africa, Oct 2022: IEEE Day at UCCS
- ARCHIVE: For a visual and historical archive of past events, visit Archive. Tabbed Sections are labelled as , ,, , [Pre-2019]
- CONTACT US: For email contacts of officer positions within the Section, please visit Contact Us.