Webinar: Understanding MV-HV Cables, testing, applications – cable selection and standards
Please carefully read the "fine print" at the bottom of this page, prior to registering.
- Medium Voltage cable CSA Standards
- Understanding MV cable components and their purposes
- MV Cable options
This webinar will cover the basics of medium voltage cables. The CSA standards they are built to will be explained with how they result in cables suited to specific applications. Clarity will be given to which product types are typically commercially available, product types that can be made to order, and which product features can be specified. Each of the construction layers within a medium voltage cable will be shown and their functions defined. The goal is to understand how each construction layer provides benefits for different applications enabling designers to specify cables that best meets their projects’ unique requirements. Finally, a brief overview of factory and field acceptance tests will be covered.
Intended Audience: Engineers, Designers, Manufacturer’s, Installers and Inspectors who are responsible for the design, selection and installation of medium voltage cables.
- The webinar is free for active IEEE members.
- There is a $5 registration fee for people who are not active IEEE members.
- The fee must be paid in advance through the registration process below (credit card through PayPal) in order to receive the link to the webinar.
- Upon successful payment of the fee, you will receive 2 emails: one from email@example.com with title "IEEE vTools Reservation Confirmation," and a second from firstname.lastname@example.org with title "Your payment to The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc." Both emails are required to ensure your payment was successfully processed.
- Incomplete non-member registrations (payment not received) will be deleted.
- A link to the WebEx registration will be sent to the email address you provided during this vTools registration, on Nov 9, by "IEEE Southern Alberta". Please double check the spelling of your email address when registering.
- You will need to complete the brief WebEx event registration prior to joining the webinar.
Date and Time
- Date: 10 Nov 2020
- Time: 12:00 PM to 01:00 PM
- All times are Canada/Mountain
- Add Event to Calendar
- Co-sponsored by Texcan
- Starts 01 September 2020 12:00 AM
- Ends 08 November 2020 11:59 PM
- All times are Canada/Mountain
- Admission fee ?
Blair Sackney, B.Sc.Eng. of Texcan
Blair has worked in technical roles in the wire and cable industry for over 20 years. Working in both technical and sales roles for cable manufacturers, Southwire, Shawflex, and Alcan Cable, he has developed a strong background in wire and cable over a broad range of cables from 300V Instrumentation and Control to Medium / High Voltage cables. His background includes project management as well as solving technical challenges for Engineers, End Users, Electrical Distribution, and Electricians.
Currently he is employed with Texcan providing technical electrical cable support incorporating his product knowledge with his commercial knowledge to provide highly practical solutions. Typical customer support includes: Ampacity calculations, installation support, cable pull calculations, product recommendations, alternates or cost savings options, design best practices, testing recommendations, trouble shooting, and much more.
He is active in IEEE having coauthored 3 IEEE ESTMP presentations, 3 IEEE Chapter Meeting presentations, and attended IEEE PCIC conferences since 2011.