SENIOR MEMBERSHIP ELEVATION WORKSHOP, WITS, Johannesburg, 25 May, 9AM
All IEEE members who meet the qualifications below are encouraged to attend and meet with Senior Members, Fellows, and Honorary Members. Bring your application, obtain Senior Member references and learn more about what Senior membership means.
Do you qualify as a Senior Member?
1) Candidates shall be an engineer, scientist, educator, technical executive, or originator in IEEE-designated fields (Bylaw 1-104.11)
2) Candidates shall have been in professional practice for at least ten years (see full qualifications)
3) Candidates shall have shown “significant performance” over a period of at least five of those years in professional practice.
This event is a part of the series of Senior Membership Development workshops:
03 May 2018 09:00-11:00: University of Pretoria, Pretoria
03 May 2018 18:00-20:00: University of Pretoria, Pretoria
08 May 2018 12:00-14:00: Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), Pretoria
10 May 2018 18:00-20:00: University of Cape Town, Cape Town
11 May 2018 09:00-12:00: Stellenbosch University, Stellenbosch
17 May 2018 16:30-18:00: University of KwaZulu Natal, Durban
18 May 2018 09:00-12:00: University of KwaZulu Natal, Durban
25 May 2018 09:00-11:00: Witwatersrand University, Johannesburg
25 May 2018 17:00-19:00: Witwatersrand University, Johannesburg
Click on "Register now" below to register (the venue has strict access control, so a registration is a must).
IEEE Senior Members Make a Difference!
Date and Time
- Date: 25 May 2018
- Time: 09:00 AM to 11:00 AM
- All times are (UTC+02:00) Pretoria
- Add Event to Calendar
- University of the Witwatersrand
- Durban, Gauteng
- South Africa 2000
- Building: Chamber of mines building Wits. University
- Room Number: Seminar room
- Click here for Map
- Starts 01 March 2018 07:00 AM
- Ends 25 May 2018 11:00 AM
- All times are (UTC+02:00) Pretoria
- No Admission Charge
About IEEE Senior Membership
Talk about IEEE, Senior memberhship in IEEE, and processes to get there.
Albert Lysko is a Principal Researcher at the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), Pretoria and the IEEE South Africa Section Chair. He was born in Russia and received BSc and MSc in Russia and completed PhD (ICT) in Norway.
Dr Lysko was with the Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway from 1998. This is where he became a member of IEEE. He moved to South Africa in 2004, where he lectured at the University of KwaZulu Natal, then ran private consulting, and in 2007 joined the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR). At the CSIR, he is now a Principal Researcher working in wireless communications and focussing his research on television white spaces (TVWS), dynamic spectrum access and smart antennas. He has published over 60 research papers, 2 books, 2 patents and led producing several technology demonstrators.
From 2009, Dr Lysko started to actively volunteer, and, having brought several IEEE Distinguished Lecturers to South Africa, he became a Chair for the Joint Chapter: Antennas and Propagation (AP), Microwave Techniques and Technologies (MTT) and Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) in 2013.
From 2015, he was a Vice-Chair for IEEE South Africa Section and from 2016, he is the Chair for the Section, as well as the Awards & Recognitions Chair. In these roles, he successful promoted the Best Chapter award, Section Congress grant. He was also a co-organizer (General Chair, Technical Chair) for 3 conferences (total 410+ presentations incl. ICACCE’16 in Durban and Africon’17 in Cape Town), and an organizer and co-organizer for over 30 IEEE events, which have attracted over 900 people.
He is also a member of a number of committees including IEEE AP-S Education and SIGHT, IEEE 5G Testbed Roadmap, and IEEE Region 8 Membership Development committees.
Address:Meiring Naude Rd, Brummeria, Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa, 0001
1. Welcome by IEEE South Africa Section Executive/Representative
2. Short presentation on the benefits of membership elevation and application process
3. Hands on guide with applications. (Please bring a laptop along if possible).